Sunday, October 23, 2011

Race, Ethnicity & The Construction of Social Justice - Sonia Odom, Paul Freese & Angela Barnes

During this Friday’s presentation our group will talk in depth on the issues of race, ethnicity and social justice in relation to the city of New Orleans. Although the topic and its terms may seem broad, we hope to define each of them in detail and explain not only their differences but also how they are interconnected in our society. We will also attempt to uncover and clarify some shocking misconceptions about race through an open dialogue with the class. When discussing race and ethnicity in New Orleans and the conflicts it entails, it will be important to look at the demographics of the city by using US Census statistics to give us a clearer picture of the social make up of the city.

In addition to this we want to give concrete examples to illustrate how the roles of both race and ethnicity play in our communities and in the historical events they’ve attributed to in New Orleans. There are many significant social justice issues both in the past and present that have taken place in New Orleans. As students at a Jesuit school we hope to provide our class with a better understanding of what social justice is in conjunction to our school’s patron Saint Ignatius. Ultimately by the end of the presentation we want our classmates to walk away with a better, clearer intellectual perception of race and ethnicity rather than a social one stemming from our current culture while having a better defined the notion of the way justice ties into where we live at home and our education at Loyola in New Orleans.

7 comments:

  1. I'm very excited to see this presentation, I think it will be very interesting to learn about the demographics of New Orleans and how they play a part in the "justice" system of the city

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you guys tied in the values of the school and our role as students in New Orleans with what you'll be discussing in your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this will be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the juxtaposition of social justice in the past and present. I'm also excited to hear about social justice in conjunction to Saint Ignatius and how religion plays into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This presentation was a really interesting one. I really liked the ethnicity activity and I think it helped us all to understand more about race, ethnicity, social standards, and about the way people are in general. Humans are quick to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting topic for any city but especially in New Orleans. The large minority populations make social justice a very important issue for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really was a good presentation. I like how the class was incorporated becuase we ended up learning about each other's backgrounds as well as New Orleans's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fun learning people's races and what they were mixed with. I was kind of surprised by some people’s answers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.