Sunday, October 30, 2011

GENDER AND SEXUALITY IN THE 'BIG EASY'

By Rick Burton, Daniel Babcock, and Emily Burglass


This week we will be presenting the topic of Gender/Sexuality in New Orleans. This broad topic entails many social issues that are not only seen in New Orleans, but on a national and even international scale. We will be presenting several subtopics that we see as most applicable to New Orleans culture. These topics will include: gender inequalities, homosexuality, and perceptions of women in today’s society. In order to feel the full gravity of these topics, we will take you back in time to a southern French colony where sexuality was a key proponent of its culture and travel through time to the present as we look at the evolution of these issues along the way. We will present and then hold an enticing discussion in order to further deepen our understanding of these issues.

To understand a culture, you must first gain an understanding of its people, and for a city dubbed as the Big Easy; the expression of sexuality is going to play a key role in understanding that culture. With this being said, our goal is for you to become more aware of the issues that you encounter everyday, and perhaps change the way you view your surroundings in a city that revolves around gender and sexuality.

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this topic. All girls have guy friends and if they're anything like mine, they make jokes about a woman's place and what a woman should be doing for them. Though these may be jokes, they originated from a common idea and standard that was once the basic role of a woman. I'm looking forward to see how the views have progressed and the views of my classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this presentation is going to be interesting to listen to because gender, sexuality and the inequalities these social constructs come with are things not just present internationally in other countries but are issues that happen to be at the forefront of our country's political forum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in women studies, so I am excited for this presentation. I'm interested in learning about the specific French colony and I'd like to see the transition of the roles of women from past to present time.
    I'm also interested in the specifics of women cases in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'all did a great job presenting using this as a base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Presentation was good. It was interresting learning about the inequalities of genders in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a topic I'm particularly interested in just because I see examples of different perceptions of women in society every single day. As a female, it is always interesting to hear generalizations made about women and society's outlook on the genders.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.