Sunday, November 13, 2011

Improvements to New Orleans' Criminal Justice System

In our presentation for this week on the topic of "Improvements in the New Orleans Criminal Justice System," we will be giving a brief overview on periods of change in New Orleans' justice system. We will explain how the city's justice system was during the past and how it affected the crime of that period. Also explained will be the justice system and its place in the city during Hurricane Katrina and in the hurricane's direct aftermath. As with that we will explain the recovery of the New Orleans' justice system and the role it takes on in the present time. Following our presentation, we will play a discussion question based mini-game called "I'm a 'Sucker' for Questions," in which class participants can answer questions for prize rewards!

Known as a city of political corruption, it is hard for people to believe in the justice system and its politics. One can begin to perceive this corruption in the system just by looking at the culture of New Orleans, from the norm of other U.S cities it too takes on an appeal of "corruption." It is crucial to understand that in a city with a large amount of criminal actions as well as an abnormally high murder rate, controlling and maintaining the criminal justice system is a difficult task and corruption may just be a price to pay in order to control such unique city.

5 comments:

  1. I'm interested in learning if anything can really be done about the corrupt government of the United States, especially in New Orleans. Even if something is done, I think corruption will be very present in the underground world, more than it currently is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Brendan, very interesting. I hope we do a good job on our project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love projects like this where the class is incorporated. It keeps the class interested and also gives us an incentive to pay attention. Nobody wants to not participate in mini-games! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think our presentation was really good. I like the game we played because we got to see who was a sucker for questions.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.