This weeks project is about Gangs and Mafia in New Orleans. We know that New Orleans was one of the most dangerous cities, if not the most dangerous city, in the U.S. Now days many people don’t hear much about gangs and mafia any more in New Orleans, but there definitely is, just not as grand as in the 19th and 20th century.
We are going to trace back the earliest gangs in New Orleans history and explain how and why they traveled to the city. We will also examine the Italian involvement in Mafias and Gangs. It just so happens that all Mafia involvement in the U.S began because they entered through the ports of New Orleans and from there they migrated all through the U.S.
We will talk about the main Italian and Sicilian mafias and gangs that ruled in New Orleans and what area in specific they dominated over. One main mafia family that ruled over New Orleans was the Matranga family from Sicily beginning as early as 1870, creating the mafia group called the Stuppaghieri, founded by Charles Matranga and his father Salvador.
Looking forward to the presentation!!! :)
ReplyDeleteTo add to this general summary, i just want to say that it's been so interesting learning the mafia history of a place i actually presently live in but know hardly anything about, And it has really opened my eyes. i hope everyone enjoys the project as much as i have enjoyed making it.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds very interesting, as I did on of the earlier writing assignments about Carlos Marcello, who was the mafia don for the later half of the century. It was interesting to me how the mafia itself evolved with the city's growth and also how the city evolved around the mafia's growth. I look forward to seeing some of this in your presentation.
ReplyDeleteI would love to see how immigration effected the Mafia in New Orleans due to the influx of Italians we had here for work after the potato famine. I have often felt the Mafia was something that was misunderstood, and in ways necessary for the Italians in New Orleans. I would like to see a 3-demensional story of how the Mafia really came about that reflects the corruption in New Orleans.
ReplyDeleteI really can't wait to see this one. The mafia has always been really interesting to me. I really didn't know that there was much mafia involvement in New Orleans so i would definitely love to hear about this. It's going to be a complete eye-opener.
ReplyDeleteThis was definitely an interesting presentation. Minus technical difficulties, I think you guys did really well =]
ReplyDeleteYour presentation taught me a lot of things. I never knew that New Orleans had a mafias.
ReplyDelete